Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 4: Favorite Book

I started writing this post while talking on the phone to D. I wrote the below sentence while asking him to fill in the blank.

If you asked my husband, he would, without a doubt tell you that ________ is my favorite book.
He is currently writing a paper for class so it took him a second to answer, during that time, I typed the rest of the sentence with what I was positive would be his answer:

If you asked my husband, he would, without a doubt tell you that the "Twilight" series is my favorite book.

I assumed he would say this, since I am CONSTANTLY re-reading it (seriously people, it's an addiction or a sickness or something.) They aren't even very good, I just think there's something about the familiarity when I'm out of town that keeps me re-reading. Well, he hesitated with his answer (again distracted by his paper), and my confidence wavered, I thought he might end up saying "Harry Potter" - again, one I really like. However, much to my surprise (and delight) he said the following:

Oh wait, it's that one you used to re-read all the time as a kid, you know, the one by Laura Ingles Wilder.
Well, I'll be darned! He is absolutely correct, my favorite book is "These Happy Golden Years" by Laura Ingles Wilder, it is part of the "Little House on the Prairie" series.

When I was little, as far back as I can remember, my dad used to read to us kids. When we were very little, he would make one big glass of chocolate milk and then divide it up into tiny pewter shot glasses (wow we started young I guess!), and we would each pick a book from the shelf.  We would pile onto my parents' bed, and whomever's story was being read would get to sit in his lap.

We later graduated to full glasses of chocolate milk, and then eventually, when we were older, we each selected series of books and he would read us a chapter a night - one-on-one.  In fact, that is how our family got started on the infamous "Harry Potter" series - Biz picked that as one of her series for Dad to read to her.  I can't remember them all, but I know that the "Chronicles of Narnia" were in there (I think he read that to Danny), and for me, the "Anne of Green Gables" series.  But my favorite series, without a doubt, was the "Little House on the Prairie".  I am sure that my love for the books stems from how much I loved that special time with my dad when he would read to me at night.  Sometimes, when I go to bed in the whatever hotel I'm at for the night, I think how nice it would be to be 10 years old again, and have my dad read to me for a while while I fall asleep.

Enough with the gushy - the book is fantastic, and I recommend you all read it.  I still pick it up when I just want to escape for an hour (seriously, its really a  quick read).  Biz and I used to watch the TV series with Michael Landon and Melissa Gilbert, and just a few weeks ago, the Broadway show (yes, I know, who knew, right!?!) was in town, and my Mom, Biz and I went at the Civic Center.  We had a blast (the musical was all kinds of corny) but we laughed, and got to see Melissa Gilbert live (she plays 'Ma') so all in all, a great night.

Wow - I guess that was a tad bit longer than my posts have been lately - but I suppose the whole point of this blog challenge is to share things about me - so I hope it wasn't too boring!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet memory. And kudos to D for knowing it. It is pretty much my favorite book in that series. So romantic.

    ReplyDelete